Monday, May 19, 2014


DRAWING PORTRAIT

ARTIST REFLECTIONS: 
 Artists develop art making skills .
- learn techniques and processes: in this project I tried many times to get certain facial features correct. I had to be taught a lot about how to make eyebrows. Never outline them. slowly draw little hairs in the correct direction which they are growing.
- explore media: I never really used charcoal before until this project. I found it to be too dark to work with.  It is very difficult to erase. The picture below the second draft is what it looked like before I tried adding charcoal.  
I learned new techniques such as focusing on one facial feature at a time.  
 Artists reflect.
- analyze work and process: Every once in a while I would step back and look at my work. Something didn't seem right but I could never figure out what it was.  I would ask mrs Rossi if it looks ok so far. Each time she would tell me the eyes are too big or slightly too close. I found this very difficult.  Faces are so symmetrical. I feel like in the end it did not like me.  I found this project challenging but I am glad I tried so many times because I did learn a lot from asking mrs Rossi for advice each step of the way. 

Artists solve problems.
- try alternative solutions: I tried drawing from a reference picture. I tried drawing straight from a mirror in front of me. I tried drawing the facial features from the printed out sheets of paper that mrs Rossi gave us all. It really helped understand the shape of the nose. It was the only part I really got right.
- use mistakes as learning opportunities: I learned a LOT from this project.  It is all about the shading in the faces. The jaw is SUPER important. you have to give it depth without making the face look like a big circle.  Also, your neck comes from behind your ears.  I have been drawing it a lot skinnier because when my hair covers it up, thats all I see. 
How did you respond to challenges that occurred as you worked?- I got frustrated and just kept trying. I spent about 2 weeks drawing faces over and over.
Did your work take an unexpected turn due to a mistake or did something happen that was unplanned?- Yes. Many times I had to start over or erase major parts. 



I don't really want to talk about this.





getting the eyes

first draftsecond draft
it used to look OK...


getting the nose 

No comments:

Post a Comment